Monday, December 04, 2006

Shredded Wheat Comic Transfers


Yesterday, we talked about Silly Putty and the joys of being able to lift images of your favorite comics characters right off of the printed page! Well, here, in this fifties(?) ad for Shredded Wheat cereal, we have comic strip transfers which you can put right on your clothing (or your hankies!) and wear to school where you'll be the envy of all your friends...or at least you would be if any of these were A-list characters. I mean seriously, when ANDY GUMP and HAROLD TEEN are the big shot names on your licensed character list, I sense a bit of a problem. Were they even still being published that late? What's that? THE SHADOW?? Hmmm... I dunno... Hey, Mister Tollin, does that guy "Shadow" look like he knows what evil is lurking in the hearts of men...or anywhere else for that matter?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:36 PM

    Well, I'm not Mr. Tollin, who is busy
    publishing new pulp magazine sized
    slick reprints of The Shadow and Doc
    Savage, but I remember listening to
    tapes of the old Superman radio series, and the Pep cereal people
    were forever advertising premiums
    featuring likenesses of "famous"
    comic strip characters, and the name
    "Shadow" kept popping up. I somehow
    knew that that Shadow was not Lamont
    Cranston, but another person altogether. And now, thanks to the ad
    posted here, I can put a face to the
    name.
    Sorry if I couldn't be more helpful
    to you, Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Shadow loves him some Malteds!

    ReplyDelete