Monday, October 28, 2013

My First Music


I first discovered Top 40 radio in early 1970 when I was 11 years old. I had just gotten my first record player that could play LPs the year before but only had a few non-children's records. But somehow or other, I came to the realization that the Patti Page, Perry Como and Dean Martin stations my mother listened to all the time on our AM radio weren't the only stations out there...and then somebody got me my own transistor radio!

MY station was Cincinnati's WSAI, 1360, with Jim Scott, Jack Clark, Bud Stagg and others I'v long forgotten. I saw this survey posted elsewhere online and this particular week happens to be very important to me. I had seen the movie LET IT BE at Covington's Madison Theatre a week earlier when it first opened. My favorite song had been "The Long and Winding Road." It became the second single release from the film this week, hitting the charts at # 4. That week, it also became the first Beatles record I ever bought...and the last one they put out before the breakup which occurred shortly thereafter.

I bought a lot of records after that. Here's a look at my memories of this particular week's hits.

                      WSAI RADIO 1360            
                   SURVEY FOR CINCINNATI
                    WEEK OF MAY 23, 1970      
    1. The Wonder Of You - Elvis Presley--I bought the 45, 1 of the the most overproduced records in history but my Mom loved it!                            
    2. Which Way You Goin' Billy - The Poppy Family-Bought it!                
    3. Gimme Dat Ding - The Pipkins-Creeped me out! I was reading the other day that this was the same folks who did the music for THE GROOVY GOOLIES.                                 
    4. The Long And Winding Road - The Beatles-1st Beatles record.                      
    5. Reflections Of My Life - The Marmalade-A huge group in England but this was pretty much their only US hit, an over-orchestrated ode to depression. One of my favorites as I became an angst teenager.                       
    6. My Baby Loves Lovin' - White Plains-I had never heard of sex so it never occurred to me this was a sex song!                          
    7. Ride Captain Ride - Blues Image-Loved it!                             
    8. Everything Is Beautiful - Ray Stevens-Bought the 45 at JC Penny. 79 cents! Te most I'd ever paid for a single to that point.                        
    9. Get Ready - Rare Earth--Not a favorite then but always nostalgic to hear nowadays.                                      
   10. Hitchin' A Ride - Vanity Fare-kinda creeped me out.                               
   11. Band Of Gold - Freda Payne-Loved it! Got to see her live about 8 years later.                                  
   12. Run Through The Jungle/Up Around The Bend - 
                                    Creedence Clearwater Revival-Liked these so  much I bought the album!   
   13. It's All In The Game - Four Tops-A favorite at the time.                            
   14. Brother Rapp - James Brown--Don't recall this one at all.                                  
   15. Cinnamon Girl - Gentrys Loved this. My first favorite Neil Young song about a year or two before I knew who Neil Young even was!                                    
   16. Maybe I'm Amazed - Paul McCartney-Bought the album!                          
   17. The Letter - Joe Cocker-Liked it but liked the original better once I dissevered it.                                    
   18. Love On A Two Way Street - The Moments-Liked it.                      
   20. Spirit In The Dark - Aretha Franklin-No memory of this.                  21. Come Saturday Morning - The Sandpipers-Loved the song and the movie it came from--Bought the 45.                      
   22. Question - The Moody Blues-AM radio usually only played the short version of this but it was enough to make the Moody Blues all-time favorites. Eventually I got everything they ever did and saw them twice in concert.                                   
   23. Soolaimon - Neil Diamond-Loved this. My older cousin had given me a single of "Girl. You'll Be a Woman Soon" which I didn't like. I was oblivious to the fact that he had much BETTER stuff.                                    
   24. Viva Tirado - El Chicano-If I ever heard this it made zero impression.   25. Reach Out And Touch - Diana Ross-I had seen her on TV. Loved this song   26. Daughter Of Darkness - Tom Jones-Tom was also a TV favorite and this became a favorite song of his for me.                            
   27. Let It Be - The Beatles-I went back the following week and bought this one!                                     
   28. United We Stand - The Brotherhood Of Man-Liked it!                    
   29. Dangling On A String - Chairmen Of The Board-I sorta kinda remember it...in a way.                
   30. Mama Told Me - Three Dog Night-Such a longtime favorite that I posted a clip of them singing it on Facebook just yesterday!                              

       PIC HIT 
       Hey Mr. Sun - Bobby Sherman-I had gotten into Bobby's records because my 6th grade girlfriend was into them so I bought this and all his records until she moved away.                 

       MOST REQUESTED SONG
       Which Way You Goin' Billy - The Poppy Family--Susan Jacks was the lead singer on this dirge of a song...which I did buy. Her brother Terry Jacks, also in the group, went on to solo fame with his version of the depressing song "Seasons in the Sun."                 

1 comment:

  1. "Gimme Dat Ding" featured the lead vocal of Tony Burrows, who fronted a lot of one-hit wonders like Edison Lighthouse. And it had a vocalist who sounded like he was imitating Arte Johnson's park-bench character Tyrone from Laugh-in.

    ReplyDelete