Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Fred Astaire IS Alister Mundy (and NOT Alistair Munday)



In the late 1960s, Fred Astaire was highly touted as joining the cast of the hit TV series IT TAKES A THIEF in its third season, playing the legendary con artist father of Robert Wagner's main character, Alexander Mundy. This was the first time in my life I had ever heard of Fred Astaire. In spite of the publicity, the greatest dancer in the history of the movies (although I didn't know that yet) only appeared in a handful of episodes.

These days, when his appearance on the series--a trivia question in terms of his overall career--is cited at all, his character's name is inevitably misspelled as "Alistair." Even on IMDB. I'm putting this here as proof that it was, in fact, "Alister," so that I'll know where it is the next time this comes up...which in my world has been surprisingly often.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment