Friday, August 02, 2013

The Book Thief

Not long before I left the bookselling industry, THE BOOK THIEF was one of our big sellers. I don't read much fiction anymore so it was just another book for me to note but after it was recommended to me for about the third time recently (this time by friend and former bookseller Virginia Ewbank), I decided to give it a go. It took me all of thirty seconds to find a copy as son David had purchased one a while back that he had never gotten around to reading.

This isn't a review. It can't be because I'm not even finished with it. Author Markus Zusak may make some horrendous wrong turn and ruin it for me before I'm through. But I highly doubt that. So far, I am FEELING this book in ways I don't recall ever having felt fiction before.

Technically, THE BOOK THIEF is a young adult title. And it's a BIG, IMPORTANT, AWARD-WINNING young adult title at that. But don't let those things scare you. THE BOOK THIEF is a great story written by an author who manages to find a unique voice right out of the gate to tell an all-new tale that covers sadly familiar ground.

Buy it. Read it. For no other reason than it's a good story well told...but then feel it wash over you.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the shout-out Steven! And do I ever steer you wrong? This book soooo totally rocks! I mean, if this doesn't' explain the power of the written word, I don't know what does!

    ReplyDelete