Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Real Booksteve's Library

August 21st marked the 6th anniversary of Booksteve's Library, the blog. I have always referred to it as a "vast and virtual" personal library so many of you might have thought I was speaking on purely metaphorical terms. The original concept of the blog was for me to just grab something off the shelf and write about it. The virtual part refers to various online scans or videos or such that I might post on subjects of my interest. But the Library is still here...a little weathered...but still here. Thus, in honor of our anniversary, here are a few brand new shots of the ACTUAL Booksteve's Library! Pardon the mess. I'm afraid that even though we've had to downsize considerably since the blog began, it's always in a constant state of flux. New additions have been sparse over the past four years and often come from review copies, really cheap Amazon orders or books I've actually worked on. To be honest, with our financial issues in recent years, I would most likely have sold much of what you see left here if not for the fact that the going rate for, say a 1974 book on Humphrey Bogart, was about $3.00 while to me these things are all priceless. There is a vague semblance of order in some areas whereas more recent acquisitions are often shelved via available space. There are a few more bookcases upstairs that house some humor, David's books and most of my wife's genealogy religion and personal comics stash. My remaining comics boxes are also upstairs. Again, what's left doesn't have any real resale value but they're mostly good readin'!









So there you have it! Warts, junk, medicine bottles and all. The real Booksteve's Library! Comments? Questions?

Oh, by the way, an online friend is sending me a life-size cardboard Bettie Page. Gotta figure out where to add her. Hmmm....

9 comments:

  1. WOW, I could spend a week in there. Just change my bucket and bring me a sammich once a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy smoke! An I though I had too many books/DVDs/CDs! But seriously, congratulations, you have some a lot of great stuff there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like we hit a lot of the same sales events.

    I was talking to Paul at Comic Book World the other day and he mentioned he got some Charlton Bullseyes from you. I bring it up because it's possible, though I'm not sure, that I bought some of those to fill in my own collection.

    If so, the seeds of your library are spreading.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool, Rip! Except, of course, that I still have all my CHARLTON BULLSEYES. THE CHARLTON PORTFOLIO, too.

    I DID sell Paul most of my RBCC's, FM's, 2000AD related Annuals, HIS NAME IS...SAVAGE, a bunch of comics paperbacks, DC Famous First Editions, about 20 boxes of comics and assorted fanzines, though, so your suggestion still holds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this, Steve! It's always interesting to see other people's collections.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought some of those RBCC issues, so I might still own a bit of the library.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at the last picture you posted here and tell me why I am laughing. Don't announce it though. I got a giggle out of it. Possibly because it is after 6am and I haven't slept yet. I'll shut up now. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:20 AM

    Wow. I always envy other people's collections, but yours puts even the peoples collections that I envy to shame. My wife despises clutter in all its forms, so I've been forced to thin out the herd, so to speak, painful as it was.

    Glad to see Wonderfalls and Dead Like Me in your DVDs. Both great series. Question, though: Do you have the Dead Like Me movie which came after the series was cancelled? I didn't notice it in the picture.

    Thanks for sharing.
    --J/Metro

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Johnny. And yes, we have the DLM movie. Don't ask me to find it quickly, though. ;)

    ReplyDelete