Monday, September 21, 2009

An Honor Received from Jeffrey Catherine Jones

I grew up with Jack Kirby, Wally Wood, Steve Ditko and Curt Swan but I'm on record as saying Jeffrey Catherine Jones is one of my all-time favorite artists. In fact, just recently I was showing son bookdave (who grew up with a now long-faded print of BLIND NARCISSUS hanging on our wall) all of the works on the artist's extensive site. Now comes word directly from her that visitors to her site are greeted by various quotes including one from...ME! Seriously! I'm quoted right after Frank Frazetta! I am honored and stand by my statement. While Jones' fantasy works, comics and drawings are still impressively amazing, his ordinary portraits and landscapes teach us that art doesn't have to have bulging biceps, heaving bosoms, spaceships or bloody swords to be riveting. It was from Jones that I progressed to Wyeth, Klimt, Lyendecker and other great non-comics illustrator/artists. Take a look for yourself. If you aren't familiar with the artist, explore this site and enjoy!

http://www.jeffreyjones-art.com/

2 comments: