Saturday, September 19, 2009

Captain Marvel Ad


Here's a nifty early Fawcett house ad for the original CAPTAIN MARVEL, made all the moreso by the fact that the particular comic book that those folks are enjoying so much, CAPTAIN MARVEL ADVNTURES # 4, is perhaps the most important Golden Age comic I ever owned. My copy was actually in pretty good shape (probably VG by early eighties standards) except that the upper right hand corner had been neatly sliced off (possibly to indicate a destroyed, credited copy the way magazine covers are stripped today by retailers?). I paid about 10 bucks for it. I treasured it! I cherished it! And when the time came a few years ago I couldn't afford groceries for my family, it bought me about a month's worth! That's one reason we collect comics, I guess--in the hopes that someday we can make money on them. In that case, the Big Red Cheese came through for me! Shazam, indeed! Thanks, Cap!

4 comments:

  1. Very cool, Steve. Any idea where this ad appeared? Some family magazine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, that was a good guess but it was actually on the inside cover of an issue of BULLETMAN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm. They thought the whole family was already reading Bulletman? Maybe not the best marketing strategy, but at least it didn't cost them anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kool! When are they going to make a Captain Marvel movie? Or remake, I guess...

    ReplyDelete