Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day


We take a lot of things for granted in this country. A LOT of things. On Memorial Day at least--today of all days, let us reflect on all we've lost in order to maintain those things we take for granted. How many of your ancestors died? Your relatives? How many sons and daughters never lived to see the freedoms we've come to feel are our God-given right? Well, if that's so then God didn't give them without a fight. Whether it's the gung-ho soldier out to kill the enemy or the scared, conflicted little guy who just happened to get drafted, it took the sacrifices of each and every one to lead us to where we are now. And we still aren't really where we want to be--where we NEED to be! They all blazed a path to an ideal that we still hope for, still strive for, still fight for...because we know freedom makes sense! It's just never been easy.

Whenever I find myself in a cemetary, if I see a headstone or grave marker that shows someone was a veteran, I salute them and thank them aloud. It may look odd to passers-by but I figure its the least I can do for what they did for us. Today of all days, remember...
(And yes, I've read a lot of CAPTAIN AMERICA comics over the years. Why do you ask?)

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:44 PM

    I get choked up just when I hear
    patriotic music being played or
    see photos of the cemetaries filled
    with row after row of tombstones;
    I am humbled and oh so thankful
    of the sacrifices of these military
    folks, so that we can live free.

    Sam "Salute!" Kujava

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't have said it any better myself.

    ReplyDelete