Monday, January 19, 2009

The Many Faces of the Golden Age Hawkman




The convoluted continuity of the Silver Age Hawkman is a mess that has to be ignored to make it work at all. That's a sad story and luckily we aren't here to talk about that. No, what I have always been fascinated by is the Golden Age Hawkman whose helmet evolved almost from issue to issue and certainly from artist to artist, eventually ending up with the helmetless yellow hood seen here. Here are a number of examples from Hawkman's home base in FLASH COMICS in the early to mid-1940's. Art is by originator Sheldon Moldoff, Joe Kubert and a few others I'm not certain of at the moment.






























































5 comments:

  1. Is that a hawk on your head or are you just glad to see me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the panel with the "queer blue light" caption, I don't think I've ever seen the original hawk helmet depicted so effectively! It also looks wildly impractical, but that's a reasonable tradeoff for looking so dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the DC Universe chock full of legacy heroes, thousands of Green Lanterns, is there no love for Katar Hol ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:09 PM

    Those early Hawkman stories, from the few I've read, could be really dark and menacing. Wonderful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny; because I had read a few GA Hawkman stories of him with the Hawk's beak head, for years I would look at JLA #29 (one of my favorite covers from that era) and think that the guy with the yellow hood was the Atom.

    ReplyDelete