Sunday, September 28, 2008

Savage Streets Revisited





SAVAGE STREETS has never been my favorite Linda Blair movie. In fact, I had never even heard of it until its initial VHS release when the store I worked at got a keychain flashlight with the film's distinctive logo to publicize it. I carried taht for years. Saw the film on cable a few months later and I don;t know. I mean, I love a good exploitation film as good as the next guy. Tough chicks, crossbow violence John Vernon (voice of IRON MAN in the sixties cartoon!)and Linda Blair naked. What's not to love, y'know? Still...never sat well with me for whatever reason.

Yesterday, I saw online where SAVAGE STREETS, for reasons I cannot begin to fathom,had been given the deluxe, 2 disc DVD treatment! With cool grindhouse looking covers yet! WTF?? Then, later in the day, my wife and I found ourselves at Best Buy with rewards program coupons to spend and what do I spy? You guessed it. And at $14.99 only a buck more than it was on Amazon.Three seperate commentaries (but none by Linda. Couldn't convince her to sit through it again?). Also amongst the extras, though, is an eighteen minute interview with Ms. Blair (wearing a WorldHeart Foundation t-shirt). Okay, I know a sign when it hits me over the head. Time to give SAVAGE STREETS a second try. I bought it. Haven't watched it yet (except for Linda's fun and informative interview naturally)and with a busy week ahead, it may be awhile but when I do, I'll let you know if it's any better nearly two and a half decades on.

No comments:

Post a Comment