Tuesday, September 02, 2008

R.I.P. Jerry Reed



Not again. Another favorite of mine has long been actor/singer Jerry Reed who also died yesterday. Jerry first popped up on my radar in 1970 with his song AMOS MOSES. I was really into the humor songs of Ray Stevens at the time and Jerry kind of reminded me of Ray with this and his next big hit, WHEN YOU'RE HOT, YOU'RE HOT. As an actor, one of his first appearances (seen here) was on THE NEW SCOOBY DOO MOVIES. Perhaps best known for his easygoing roles in the SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT films of the mid-seventies, Jerry could also play a mean villain. Still, he went on to play trucker and CB roles in other films and on TV, too. Thanks for everything, good buddy! Keep the bugs off your glass and the trouble off your ass, Jerry! Signing off.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:06 AM

    I loved him in Adam Sandler's movie 'Waterboy', and in the Robin Williams/Walter Matthau film 'The Survivors'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! THE SURVIVORS was the other great, scary villain role I couldn't think of off the top of my head!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I didn't know that Jerry Reed died. I loved his music and the theme to Smokey and the Bandit (East Bound and Down) was one of the reason the movie was enjoyable. Music and movies will dearly miss Jerry Reed.

    ReplyDelete