Sunday, April 15, 2007

Old Doc Gamble


I've been fighting being sick since Wednesday. Tonight, I came home from work, had some hot soup and promptly got severe chills that required burying myself under multiple blankets for an hour. I checked with one of my favorite doctors, Old Doc Gamble from radio's FIBBER MCGEE AND MOLLY, and he prescribed calling off tomorrow so I could recover by next weekend's 21st ANNUAL OLD TIME RADIO AND NOSTALGIA CONVENTION. So I did. Doc was played on radio by Arthur Q Bryan who played a number of memorable roles over the arirwaves, all of which were eclipsed by his legendary cartoon performance as Elmer Fudd! He died around the time I was born though so maybe I shouldn't listen to him. Where's Doc Savage when you need him? Hmmm...I think the fever's getting to me.

2 comments:

  1. hope you feel better soon sir steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:45 PM

    That old Doc Gamble is a pretty
    sarcastic cuss, always giving it
    to Fibber, while being respectful
    of Molly.
    Doc Savage is more likely to perform brain surgery on you, his
    speciality!
    There's always young and earnest
    Doctor Kildare, but you have to
    take curmudgeonly crusty Doctor
    Gillespe as part of his tag team!
    I'd go with old Doc Adams, from
    Gunsmoke, who wasn't quite the
    saint on radio that he was portrayed as on television!
    Heck, I'm just jealous that you
    can go to a fun place like the
    Old Time Radio and Nostalgia Convention! Bring back some stories
    to share with us!

    ReplyDelete