Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Lost in Space Forever



Many STAR TREK fans put down LOST IN SPACE but in reality, the two are apples and oranges. STAR TREK, for all of its lapses into foolishness, was a serious program whereas LOST IN SPACE, in spite of its occasionally hitting some semblance of reality, was a parody. Both shows had really cool spacecraft, good special effects and great music (LOST IN SPACE from John Williams!). Certainly, after the character of Dr. Smith began to be played as a conniving bumbler instead of the initial season's inept assassin, all pretense of seriousness left. Like BATMAN, it became an ultra-colorful pop treat that would long be fretted over by latter-day apologists but which, taken on its own, was just as tasty as STAR TREK ever got.
Here at the Library, we have a copy of the 1998 TV special, LOST IN SPACE FOREVER, a light documentary history of the series designed to plug the then-new big screen adaptation (which was just okay). Hosted by John Laroquette and featuring interviews with all surviving cast members the highlight of the show was the last scene in which a now adult Will Robinson (Bill Mumy) and the aged Dr. Smith (Jonathan Harris) spar with the robot yet again as they learn that they will now be LOST IN SPACE...FOREVER!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:47 PM

    um... this wouldn't have anything to do with me putting down 'lost in space' in my comment on your 'star trek' post the other day would it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am like you Steve. As you know I am one of the Star Trek fans who like Lost in Space. I hated the movie and would have loved to have seen this special but, unless I forgot, this is the first time I heard of the special.
    From the pictures you have Jonathan Harris looked to have held up well. The hint that gave it away before I read your post that it was from a different show was that Bill Mumy was much older.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I would love to see that special. Dunno how I missed it. It had to be better than that lame-o movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that Bill Mumy was slated to play the part of the Older Will Robinson in the film (that eventually went to Jared Harris) but he and the studio had a falling out.

    Since everyone (still alive at the time) all had cameos in the film except Mumy and Harris (from what I read at the time he said he'd only appear if he played Smith)
    it's too bad things couldn't have been ironed out. Mumy playing the older Will would have aided the film greatly, especially for long time fans.

    ReplyDelete