Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Sunday Morning With the Comics



This LP, SUNDAY MORNING WITH THE COMICS, just screams 1967ish but I can’t find a date on it anywhere and I know I got it in 1971 (in a cutout bin). It is a bizarre train wreck of an album, purporting to celebrate the nostalgic days of old-time radio and comics while simultaneously making merciless fun of same with lame attempts at MAD-like parody. "The Green Hair-Net?" "Wonder Mother?" "Captain Gorgeous?" Oy Vey! (which happens to be Captain Gorgeous’ magic words.) On the other hand, there’s a long and reasonably accurate section re-creating radio suspense shows and the requisite BATMAN theme from the sixties TV version. Gary Owens is the most familiar name in the credits.
This was one of my earliest exposures to anything OTR, but it most certainly did not inspire me in any way to seek out more. If anything, this would have convinced people that it was a silly thing that we should be glad was in the past. All in the misguided name of pop art, I guess.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:27 PM

    What do you mean cutting this down?This is cheesy comedy at it's very finest.I'm glad someone else on this planet has heard this masterpiece.My highschool girlfriend lent it to me long ago,and I still break out the mixed tape I threw some of the best tracks on,when I need a laugh.Pay special attention to the chors in Captain Gorgeous-I am cinvinced the background singers are spelling out" Ovey"as O-i-v-e-y(string them in a line and shout...).This makes the song even more bizzare if you know anything about racist skinheads(not condoning,mind you),given the subject matter,and the obvious time gap(though the original skins appeared in the late 60's, Oi music coming much later).Purely a strange coincidence-oy oy oy!I also love the Pseudo- "Psychadelic "Batman cover-my vote for best version ever-great 60's guitar and horns!All told,brillant kitsh and nostalgic spoofing!Get your history lesson,kids...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:31 PM

    ...and before anyone corrects me-thats "chorus"-do you think I'm gribinus or something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:36 PM

    and "convinced".Gee whiz, Zada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you posted this quite some time ago, but I figured I'd put a little more information into it.

    This LP was originally released in 66, under the Reprise Records label. A label which was created by the man himself, Mr. Frank Sinatra.

    If Frank liked it, it can't be all that bad.

    I just found a copy of this on 33 1/2 vinyl at a garage sale, but haven't listened to it, because I don't have a player anymore. Just liked the cover art for a man cave renovation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks - I was quite certain I heard this album on the radio as a child.

    ReplyDelete