Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Paul Simon and St. Cecilia


“Cecilia” was the first song I ever heard on the radio by Simon and Garfunkel. I think I had seen them on TV earlier but this was the first record I came to know of theirs. It was also the first reggae-influenced song I had ever heard as far as I know. Story seemed simple enough. Girl cheats on a guy and then goes back to him and he’s happy. 

Not having been raised Catholic, I was today old when I first heard that St. Cecilia is the patron saint of musicians! 

A better interpretation of the song would be: a musician is writing a new song in his bedroom. He takes a break and when he gets back to it, he’s lost his inspiration, which makes him both frustrated and sad. He now hears other musicians playing new songs when he can’t. He prays to St. Cecilia to return his inspiration. Eventually, his muse does return to him and he is excited and happy again. 

Works!

No comments:

Post a Comment