Monday, January 30, 2012

Happy Hembeck Day!

A birthday shoutout to Fred Hembeck, he of the swirly knees. I first discovered Fred way back in the seventies in fanzines and followed his cartoon self through a long series of completely drawn and hand-lettered "columns" in TBG/CBG and on into mainstream acceptance with various specials and strips at Marvel and DC.

Fred was one of my earliest supporters when I started this blog and my wife and son and I got to hang out briefly with Mr. H and his lovely wife Lynn (herself a longtime cartoon character in Fred's strips!) a couple of years back at Mid-Ohio Con.

Check out his multi-faceted site here: http://www.hembeck.com/index2.htm

You can order a copy of his telephone book sized strip collection from 2008 at the link below.

No comments:

Post a Comment