Sunday, July 29, 2007

Captain Marvel Meets the Spirit


The CCI announcement that Darwyn Cooke will be leaving THE SPIRIT much sooner than intended coincided with my finally reading Jeff Smith's recent SHAZAM revival and the two events reminded me of this 1977 Alan Hanley illustration. I'm afraid my limited scanner could'nt grab the whole of this piece that served as a January, 1978 tabloid cover for TBG but you get the idea. I have this fear that SPIRIT will now go through multiple relaunches just like the good Captain. Some good, some not so good. Between the two characters, their Golden Age adventures are probably the very BEST of the best. It's good to see old friends and I've enjoyed both Cooke and Smith's versions but sometimes the real magic just can't be recaptured.

No comments:

Post a Comment