Sunday, January 08, 2006

Birthdays


Okay, today is Larry Storch's birthday...and Soupy Sales' and David Bowie's, too...oh, and some guy named Elvis. I've enjoyed all of these gentlemen over the years (I used to love Soupy on game shows! One of the best!) but I think the point everyone is missing here, as demonstrated by the Berke Breathed card at left, is that tomorrow is MY birthday! (Richard Nixon's, also but I try not to bring that up in polite conversation.)

I'm really not certain how I feel about birthdays at the ripe old age of 47. You can't avoid them and yet I don't get a party to drive home that sense of accomplishment. Most of my friends can't even afford gifts. If I think about things too much, I get depressed and yet if I don't think about things, I feel like I've "missed" the birthday all together and I get dpressed then, too.

I'm at the point where people make fun of your age and yet tell you not to worry about it. A few months back, a girl at Burger King gave me a senior discount without even asking. Hey, it saved me money so I wasn't THAT annoyed. Last week, though, I got a letter in the mail inviting me to an open house for a new retirement home. Retire? I feel like I haven't even really started yet!

Happy Birthday to me.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:19 AM

    LOL!

    We're the same age... OK... actually I'm about 3 months older than you.

    But you summed up MY feelings about birthdays as well.

    Hope yours is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear you're not feeling old yet. At 42, I don't, and glad to hear that feeling doesn't necessarily have to come around soon.
    Best wishes and have a great one!
    This post brought to you by the word "xeoywel" which is the act of screaming at an alien.

    ReplyDelete